Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I'm on a roll

This summer, I've spent a lot of time trying to organize/clean/sort out my sewing room.  I have found comic book boards to be a fantastic way to hold fabric, but I'm slightly frightened at how many boards it's taken to start to contain my fabric collection.  At least  I found a local source so I don't have to keep ordering the boards online.

In the interest of getting projects done, I finished sewing the sashing on a lap-size quilt tonight.  I can't show you pictures of it yet, though.  Although the person for whom it's intended doesn't read blogs, his mom does, and I don't want to spoil the surprise.  I got a quilt back pieced tonight as well, so I feel like I'm finally making some progress.

I also managed to get a fleece blanket tied tonight.  The fabric is a purple and white spotted leopard, with a purple fleece layer on the bottom.  I know it's crazy, but I like it.  Plus, it's one more project that I can cross off my list.  On a tangent, have you ever put something you've already done onto a list, just so you can have the pleasure of crossing it off?   The fleece blanket is going to live on the edge of my couch; during the school year, I tend to fall asleep there a lot.  Plus, I live in a basement apartment.  Extra blankets are always nice during the winter.

Anyway, as soon as I get my other computer fixed, I can upload pictures from my camera and show you some actual details of what I've been doing.  I made some Jolly Rancher lollipops last week with some of my favorite little persons (nephews and a niece), and I for once remembered to take some pictures.  It's an activity I do sometimes in my class at school, and the lollipops have never failed to turn out.  The only real problem is making sure that some Jolly Ranchers make it into the oven to melt, rather than all of them disappearing into your mouth. :)

Update:  here is a partial picture of said blanket.

The pillow I actually made while in graduate school.  When I was growing  up, my grandparents had two quilts with the parasol lady pattern at their cabin.  One had pink sashing, and one had orange sashing between the ladies.  I remember looking forward to sleeping under these quilts every time we got to visit.  I think my sister and I may have even competed to see who could get the quilts first, but I'm not sure of that memory.  It was really fun this summer when my eldest niece actually got to sleep under the fabled quilt.  Nice to know some things never change. :)

This pillow was my attempt to try to recreate the pattern.  Turns out the interfacing I used was too heavy to turn into a quilt block, so I improvised and made a pillow instead.  One of these days I might find a lighter weight interfacing and make an actual quilt.  Of course, I might just keep the pillow as a reminder of the quilts.  My little sister has already tried to swipe borrow this pillow one or twice, so I think I might need to keep an eye on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment