Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Another finish

I woke up today at 4 in the morning.  Not because I wanted to, but because somehow, my body thought I was ready to be up.  After trying to get back to sleep until 6, I gave up and went to do some sewing work.  I spent some time cutting out borders and miscellaneous other pieces of fabric.  I don't actually plan to put the borders on today, though.  My sewing machine needs a day off, and my brain is still to sleepy to actually sew anything together without making any mistakes.  I have a nice pile of strips to start on the borders, but two quilt tops with double borders (and a third quilt top with a single border) will take me more than an hour or two to do.  I'll put up pictures when I'm done, though  In the meantime while I contemplate a mid-morning nap, here is another project I finished this summer.

A long time ago when I was an undergraduate student, I went to a FACS teaching conference.  One of the activities involved embroidery to make part of a pillow.  Well, I actually finished the embroidery pretty fast, but I didn't really care for the pillow style that the instructions had.  I made two other embroidered squares on my own, and I set them aside waiting for the day when the perfect fabric would appear.  Fast forward a few years.  I had found a fabric that would work, but I still didn't really care for the pillow pattern.  I'm not really into primitive style decorating, and the pillow pattern was all about mis-matched plaids and the primitive look.  I was walking through Walmart one day this summer when I saw a hanging frame.  I thought, "hey, that has 3 openings; maybe I could use my embroidery there."  I'm sure you can see the end of the story.  I bought the frame, painted it an off white (buttermilk, to be exact, Mom :) ), and trimmed down my embroidered squares to fit into the frames.  I like it a lot, much better than a pillow, and plus it's one more project off my to do list. Isn't summer fun? :)





No comments:

Post a Comment