Monday, November 19, 2012

Can I? Can I? (October 20)

A few weeks ago, the Relief Society Presidency passed out a sign up sheet.  They asked you to sign your name if you had experience canning and were willing to mentor someone just learning,  I wrote my name down, since I a) knew the theory and b) had actually canned before.  Well, turns out that a few minutes after class, I got asked to teach the next Relief Society activity lesson which was, incidentally, all about canning and food preservation.

Said activity occurred  last Thursday (the 20th), and I think it went okay.  The downside was, since I got my hot water canner and a bunch of my supplies out to show, I felt like I should actually use them before I put them away again.  I took a side trip to a local orchard this past Saturday, and then I spent some quality time in the kitchen.  I ended up with a lot of applesauce, some stewed tomatoes, a few jars of tomato sauce, and quite a few jars of pickle relish.  I still have a quarter of a bushel of apples whose fate I'm trying to decide.  I can't seem to find any ClearJel locally (FDA approved thickening agent) to make pie filling, so I might just have to make more applesauce.  I also have some juice strained from the peels and cores of the apples, so I think I will be making apple peel jelly this coming week.

OF course, I suppose I could just start munching on the apples I still have.  I don't think any one will mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment